Excel in your professional career! Learn the essential topics in water sector asset management
The Sustainable Water Infrastructure Management (SWIM) Center at Virginia Tech offers an educational program in Water Infrastructure Asset Management titled SWIMeD. The aim of the SWIMeD program is to broaden and deepen the body of knowledge for practicing drinking water, wastewater, and stormwater professionals.
Plus – Earn your essentials of asset management certificate and CEUs/PDHs from Virginia Tech!
Course 1: Fundamental Topics for Asset Management
This course provides better explanation for basic concepts for asset management. This course includes discussion about Asset Management Framework, Registry, Condition Assessment, Residual Life, Value-Cost, Level of Service, Business Risk Exposure, O&M, Asset Funding and Introduction to Asset Management Planning.
Instructors: Ms. Celine Hyer (Arcadis) and Dr. Sunil Sinha (Virginia Tech)
Advisors: Mr. Jeff Leighton (Portland Water, Oregon), Mr. Duncan Rose (GHD), and Steve Allbee (EPA, retired)
Course 2: Advanced Topics for Asset Management
This course aims at familiarizing participants with more advanced asset management practices. It presents knowledge, tools, and techniques to develop or improve the current Asset Management practice for water sector. Using exercises designed for the water sector, this course demonstrates tools and techniques related to advanced asset management.
Instructors: Mr. Gage Muckleroy (GHD) and Dr. Sunil Sinha (Virginia Tech)
Advisors: Mr. Gregory Chol (Aurora Water, Colorado), Mr. Duncan Rose (GHD), and Steve Allbee (EPA, retired)
Course 3: Asset Management Plan
This course includes description of water infrastructure asset management based on the 10-step process. It includes methodologies to perform risk analysis, gap analysis for baseline, establish future scenario projections, and how to develop a comprehensive asset management plan. This course also presents real world examples to develop an asset management plan (AMP) that guides asset-based decision-making.
Instructors: Dr. Walter Graf (WE&RF, Alexandria) and Dr. Sunil Sinha (Virginia Tech)
Advisors: Mr. Mike Collins (City of Harrisonburg, VA) and Mr. Devan Thomas (AECOM)
- Earn a certificate in water sector asset management from one of the country’s research leaders
- Learn new upcoming topics in water sector infrastructure asset management
- Get up to date with the advances in sustainable and resilient infrastructure systems
- Develop or enhance utility’s/organization’s water sector asset management program
- Earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs)/Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
- All the courses are developed and critically reviewed by water industry experts.
- Entirely online
- Complete at your own pace
- Questions or concerns will be recorded and answered by instructors
- All course materials included in cost of program and available online
- Each course has short assessment and a passing mark is achieved by attaining 85%
- One course fee – $395 per course
- Special discount rate for SWIM members